The main aim of the Subud organization is to enable people who practice the latihan to understand its benefits and use it in their daily lives. The experience of the latihan expresses itself in the everyday activities of Subud members, and in part the aims of the WSA reflect the kinds of activities people engage in because of the inspiration of the latihan. Because the latihan heightens awareness and concern for the needs of others, it is also the aim of the Subud movement that these activities of Subud members should benefit local communities and humanity more generally. Some of the 10 aims of the WSA, which are listed below, express this collective intention. It is also the aim of the Subud organization that the experience of the latihan is open to anyone, free of charge, though Subud does not actively seek to find new members.
The ten aims of the World Subud Associaton are:
- To facilitate the worship of Almighty God through the Latihan Kejiwaan of Subud and to provide for the other needs of the Subud membership.
- To preserve the practice of the Latihan Kejiwaan so that it will remain available to people everywhere in the form in which it was originally practiced under the guidance of Muhammad Subuh Sumohadiwidjojo.
- To protect the good reputation of Subud.
- To encourage peace, harmony and understanding between peoples regardless of their ethnic origin or religion.
- To provide educational and other facilities for the development of the full potential of human beings.
- To relieve poverty and deprivation.
- To encourage the development of a healthy and harmonious inner and outer environment for the well-being of mankind.
- To encourage cultural activities and the values which enliven and enrich the human spirit.
- To encourage the entrepreneurial spirit which enables people to express their true talents and develop the capacity to improve the quality of their lives.
- To make available information concerning the Latihan Kejiwaan of Subud.